The incredible journey of seeking support for a mission project is a tremendous faith-builder in the life of the believer. God’s resources ALWAYS vastly surpass our wildest expectations, and He is glorified when we step out on faith, watch Him provide, and realize that God not only CALLS one to short-term missions, but EQUIPS the participant for the project as well. Over several years, we have seen many people walking by faith have their complete project costs covered through some of the simple techniques below.
Here are a few ideas:
- Write a prayer support letter and give family, friends and acquaintances the opportunity to give financial support as well as prayer support. Sample letters and additional information may be found by clicking here.
- GMP ONLINE DONATION – You can send an email, letter or make a phone call to friends and family to donate to the GMP Online Donation Center. They are able to easily donate to your mission trip. All gifts are tax deductible.
- Ask your Sunday school class or church music ensemble for support. Explain the purpose of the trip and enlist prayer partners from the class.
- Ask the pastor/missions pastor if any church support is possible. Churches often support 30%-40% of the mission projects of church members.
- Consider the value of the project to YOUR personal life and ministry and to the lives of those to whom you will minister. Then ask, “Is there any material possession in my current lifestyle that I could do without for the sake of the gospel?” Giving up a cold drink per day could generate $250 in a year’s time!
- Consider a ticketed concert or an offering at a church concert with the proceeds designated to the support of your project, especially if your music team will have several involved with the project.
- One church hosts the world’s largest garage sale, with all items donated and all proceeds going toward missions. Evaluate the cost in terms of time and energy compared to the possible support raised, but something like this could be beneficial. Car washes, bake sales, etc generally do not raise as much support as they cost in terms of energy and personal resources.
- PRAY! - and this one should be first! We cannot exhaust God’s resources! Philippians 4:19 is still in The Book!! Remember, “without faith it is impossible to please Him.” (Hebrews 11:16)
God bless you as you step out in faith and commit to this project. You will be amazed at how God changes the lives of the people to whom you will be ministering and, in the process. changes YOUR life forever! We are excited about partnering with you for the sake of the gospel.